Labels

I’m a 47-year-old Yorkshireman (English)! I’m 187cm tall and weigh 103 kg. I have a full beard, shaved head and tattoos. I’m a white male, middle aged blue collar professional, a manager, public servant and regular commuter to the office.

So what category would you fit me into, how would I be judged, in what way should someone prepare themselves to interact with me? Am I any of those labels, none of them, do any of them describe me accurately enough for a valid stereotype to be applied and therefore a predetermined way of interacting with me to be effective in any shape or form?

What if I said I’m an advocate for animal rights, a musician for over 30 years and a vegetarian and pacificist. Does this change how you see me and would this affect the way you interact with me? Am I now more approachable, less, do you see me in a different way than before?

To add to this, I’ve been happily married to my partner (wife) for 18 years (together for 26 years), have two children, was a scout leader, a member of the parent/teacher group at my kids’ school, had a poor upbringing (social housing etc), was bullied at school, despise any ism (race, sex, age etc) and wish people could be a bit nicer to each other. I think that humans can be amazing and terrifying, kindness is free and priceless, and that respect should be granted automatically as only disrespect can be earned (through actions).

When you act on an ism or stereotype you limit your own ability to learn and improve yourself because you limit the variety of your interactions. We unconsciously surround ourselves with similar looking and acting humans, this stifles creativity as it reduces risk and friction in our discussions and therefore the need to adapt and grow to changing situations or viewpoints. However there is the flipside to this in that by deliberately choosing those that are different to us simply because we are driven to select variety to meet some preconceived notion of diversity we also risk labelling those we selected as only having value because of the value of the label for which they were selected.

When you look at someone that you do not know you are seeing the front cover of the book, not the content. Objective decision making based on facts and experience, balanced with an awareness of your conscious and unconscious biases should be the only way to interact with others. An awareness of the external risk surrounding the interaction must be considered however our approach to each new interaction should start on the basis that the only label, the only category that can be applied 100% to the individual that you are about to interact with is that they are human.

Every new interaction should be looked upon as opening the first page of that book, it should be exciting and challenging and a learning experience for both you.

Am I what other people choose to describe me as, and if this is based on their own experiences whether that be actual or inherited is that an efficient and effective way of managing risk in human interactions? I would suggest that it is not as it discounts the potential benefits that can be gained from new and varied interactions. What if you spoke to people based on only one predetermined data point, species? You don’t make any assumptions about all the other labels that we often just assume automatically such as background, language, ethnicity, gender identity, job, learning level, income level, age, physical ability, interests. You start out by trying to introduce yourself and things quickly advance from there. You may not know their language but being human we have other ways of communicating (body language, sound pitch and tone, gestures) and you find that you start to learn things about them. Its challenging but by trying you learn things about yourself, about your own abilities, preconceptions and place in the world.

We are trained to think that learning is an academic, organised and structured thing delivered in cubes with windows and doors (schools etc), yet every moment you are conscious you are learning something. It is only the structures and restrictions of our societies that limit our opportunities for learning from social interactions. By following predefined, safe social patterns and rules that support those aforementioned labels you limit your learning and restrict other’s ability to learn too, because there are at least two participants in every conversation!

The only label that matters is HUMAN.

See the human, not the label.

Comments